What is Domain Blocking?
Reselling domain blocking services helps your customers protect their brands, while providing you additional revenue.
Domain Blocking is a form of brand protection that secures trademarks from abuse by blocking the ability to register a domain name and in turn, prevents unauthorized usage. It is one of the most cost-effective ways to defend a brand from online abuse. It was first introduced by ICM Registry in 2011 for the launch of .XXX, known as Sunrise B blocks. However, .XXX Sunrise B blocks expired on December 1, 2021. The improved and more far-reaching product successors are AdultBlock and AdultBlock+.
Understanding AdultBlock and AdultBlock+
The AdultBlock and AdultBlock+ products are the new rights protection blocking services provided by the ICM Registry specifically for brandholders. They are designed to provide Trademark owners with enhanced protection in the adult themed domain name spaces of .ADULT, .PORN, .SEX and .XXX.
Both products block domain registrations, where domains are not currently registered. This includes premium domains and future registrations of already registered domains. For registration and renewal, both products are available from 1 year up to a 10 year period.
AdultBlock: allows you to block domain registrations with exact match terms across four adult themed TLDs: .ADULT, .PORN, .SEX and .XXX.
AdultBlock+: allows you to block domain registrations with exact match terms and its variants. across four adult themed TLDs: .ADULT, .PORN, .SEX and .XXX. The level of protection is increased with this option; it adds the ability to block all variants that are confusingly similar to the trademarked term (for example: duplicate characters, missing characters or misspelling).
Variants covered are all labels in a given SMD file and/or Sunrise B block, plus all additional look-alike names generated using the Unicode Consortium standard including homoglyphs & IDNs - potentially tallying in the thousands for each label. To check all protected variants for a given trademark, please visit ICM variant search tool. These services allow you to protect your brand from reputational damage, cybersquatting and phishing under these TLDs.
|Block the label across all 4 TLDs||yes||yes|
|Premium domain name blocking||yes||yes|
|Blocking of domains when they become available||yes||yes|
|Variant labels in SMD file and Sunrise B Block||no||yes|
|Unicode variant blocking incl. homoglyphs & IDNS; potentially tallying in the thousands for each label||no||yes|
|Registration periods||1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 and 10 years||1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 and 10 years|
- A brand owner can proactively protect their brand against risk of reputation damage, confusion, cyber squatting, and phishing by blocking trademark labels across 4 adult themed TLDs.
- Brand owners can protect their brands intellectual property from 1 to 10 years.
- Both services will allow brand owners to block premium domains at no extra cost.
- AdultBlock customers can experience large savings when comparing the cost of defensively registering the domains.
- Customers using AdultBlock+ no longer need to choose which domain labels they want to protect their brand against, as all labels and variants are covered.
Who is eligible?
- Any brand who participated in the original dotXXX Sunrise B
- Any brand who has a current Signed Marked Data (SMD) file from the Trademark Clearinghouse (TMCH)
For more information and further updates please visit our RRPproxy Knowledge Base.